The swim takes place in the sea by the old Raumati Pool. It will be a rectangular course with Paekakariki Surf Club members present. The KWT swim cap supplied must be worn.
If you are anxious about the swim, please request a pink swim cap on your entry form and the Surf Club patrol will keep a special watch out for you (not available for long distance)
Organisers reserve the right to adjust or replace this swim with a wade according to sea and weather conditions on the day
You will be started in waves of no more than 50 swimmers. Most waves are seeded according to your age grouping. You will be advised of your swim wave at registration.
The first wave will begin with the long distance at 8.30am. Subsequent waves will follow as close as practically possibly after each other. Each wave receives a quick briefing from our lifeguards on the conditions immediately prior to entering the water
The Long distance is an extension of the 400m swim
Please note if swim is South to North (depending on conditions) this is obviously reversed. Always finishing at the carpark/transition area
The full cycle route travels north along the waterfront to a turnaround point on Manly Street North. Return the same way, and head to the transition area to rack your bike at the same spot you left from.
- The short course turns back at the roundabout at Marine Parade and Kapiti Road.
- The medium course goes through the roundabout all the way to the turn at Manly St North.
- The long distance will head out on the full course, turn at Manly St North and head back to the roundabout, where you will turn and head back to Manly St North again.
Turn here and head back to transition to rack the bike and continue onto run.
- We encourage you to familiarise yourself with the course.
- Safety standard approved helmets must be worn and normal road rules apply.
- Bikes must be roadworthy. FREE bike safety checks are available from our sponsor Andrew at Biking Mad, Raumati Beach.
- Take extreme care at the roundabout. Slow down for the turn around and on re- entry to transition.
- Do NOT ride your bike in the transition area. Volunteer marshals will tell you when to dismount your bike. Please obey them!
- There may be a stop / go system operating on the bike course. You must obey all marshals’ instructions and be ready to stop when instructed.
- At the end of the event, you may collect your bike by showing your number that matches the tag on your bike (given out at registration) - this is to assist with security. Please do not remove your bike before the announcer asks you to, out of respect for and the safety of your fellow competitors.
- No support people to accompany cyclists on the ride.
Head out the same way as the cyclists before taking a right turn onto the Wharemauku Stream track. The course is off-road following the Wharemauku walking track & stream 2km (4km marker on map)
Drink station & toilet at the Short distance turn point. (2kms)
Medium course athletes turn at the short distance marker (4km marker on map)
Long Course distance and fun runners will do an additional 500m lap at the end (5km marker on map)
The course will be marshalled.
- There will be a drink station and toilet at the 1/2 distance turn point. All runners/walkers finish inside the front entrance of Marine Gardens.
- We do not allow buggy’s or cyclists to accompany runners/walkers on the run course